My son’s 3rd birthday is coming up soon, and I think these would make a cute decoration to have at his party. They are fairly easy to make, but take a little bit of time. To save some time and hassle, you could just buy little baskets instead of make them. But, if you would like to try to make it from scratch, I have provided all the instructions for you here.
1. Gather materials: balloon, string (I used twine), paper (I used brown craft paper), craft glue, and permanent markers.
2. Cut craft paper into 11 strips that are about 2 inch wide and about 9 inch long.
3. Fold strips over longways until their about 1/2 inch, and glue closed. (You could also just start out with 1/2 wide strips to save time).
4. Weave strips together, as shown.
5. Fold up ends, and weave remaining strips through to make the sides.
6. Fold excess ends over the sides and paperclip down to hold in place, as shown. (One end will be open).
6. Trim and glue ends one at a time. (Remove paper clip, trim, glue, and replace paperclip to hold until it dries).
7. Blow up balloon and tie it off.
8. You may decorate your balloon with permanent markers at this time (optional).
9. Cut two pieces of twine about 9 inches long each.
10. Tie twine to the balloon (as shown).
11. Glue open edge of woven basket closed, but leave a little space open (without glue) towards the top, so that a piece of string can be passed through.
12. Once glue has dried, tie loose ends of string through the top corners of the basket.
13. If the balloons have helium in them, they should stand on their own. If not, you can tape them to something behind them (like a wall) to hold them up.